Wednesday, November 16, 2011

8 weeks and a letter

32 weeks down, 8 weeks to go. Those numbers are significant when compared to the first numbers I was given. 70% chance of preterm labor. 20% chance of survival rate for baby A without surgery. Goal of 28 weeks.

We have beat each of those statistics; no preterm labor so far, Summer is healthy and growing, and I have passed the initial goal of 28 weeks by over a month now. Wow. Thank you, God.

I saw Summer on the ultrasound today and felt excitement to meet her and have her be part of our family. They showed me a 4D picture of her (yes, 4D) and I have to say it was actually kind of cute! She looks like she has chubby little cheeks and a perfect little nose. She yawned at us as if bored with yet another ultrasound peeking in on her snug little cocoon.

After the ultrasound, the technician left to speak to the doctor and came back to tell me that I do not need any more ultrasounds and don’t need to come to their office anymore. I can go back to my regular OB and spend the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy as a ‘normal’ pregnancy!

As I left, I felt lighter (not an easy thing to feel when you are 8 months pregnant!), but I felt as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders that I didn’t realize I was still carrying. I began to think about baby Summer. I am finally able to think 100% about her. And only her. To get the infant clothes sizes 0-3 months out of the basement. To put batteries in the baby swing and figure out how long to take for maternity leave.

I found myself talking to her, as I have so many times throughout the last several months. I was telling her things that I wanted her to know - about this journey, how excited her big sister is to meet her, how her daddy and I feel about her.

I decided it’s time to write her a letter.

I wrote her sister a goodbye letter.

Now it’s time to write Summer a welcome letter.


1 comment:

  1. Jenni,

    This post is beautiful! I am so happy for you and so excited to see what God is doing in this journey. I will continue to pray that the next 8 weeks are free of issues. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete