Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Headlights

Life’s a journey, not a destination – that’s a line from an Aerosmith song that I loved in high school. (Ok fine, I still love it.) It’s also a common sentiment – that the journey we are on is what counts, not so much reaching the destination. Of course, that is a bit of a cliché and kind of devalues the goal in mind. But it does remind us that the changes that take place in us on the journey are important. Are irreplaceable.

But truth be told, we are a society that focuses on the destination. On getting from point A to point B. Sometimes literally, as in when sitting in traffic, point B really IS our only goal. But even within personal goals – getting a certain degree, a certain job, achieving something specific etc; these are all point B’s in our life that we work so hard to get to. For some of these things, the journey IS the best part. Take College for example – hands down, the best part of college for me was the journey. Those 4 years in Iowa City - meeting lifelong friends, creating memories that will literally last me a life time, and becoming much of the person I am today (which includes making some major mistakes – but it’s all part of who I am now). Oh, and learning a thing or two as well. Go Hawkeyes.

But in other situations, point B becomes more important to us than the journey. Grad school often becomes about that degree. The job that comes with it. The promised life of fortune and success. Or marriage – it has the expectation of a lifetime of love and happiness. Or having a baby; if we can just attain these goals... but no one told you that the journey included such hard work and sacrifice. For grad school, marriage and parenting. And when too much focus is put on point B, we are just setting ourselves up for disappointment. What if you don’t get a job offer after grad school and are left with nothing but debt? Or your marriage is way harder than you expected? Or you can’t ever get pregnant? Then what? Then you become riddled with bitterness because point B, and all it’s heightened it up to be, failed you.

But what about the times that we don’t know even what point B is? It’s one thing to know what your goal is and fail to achieve it (often by no fault of our own), but it’s another thing to not even know what you are heading towards. How can we enjoy this journey of life if we don’t know where we are going? But I think there ARE times in our lives when we don’t know where we are going. And that’s a hard place to be. Not only do we want to know what point B is so that we can get there, but we also want to know the exact distance, how long its going to take, how much it’s going to cost and what the weather is like there. We want the details.

Unfortunately, God doesn’t work that way. I say unfortunately but I’m sure God would say ‘fortunately.’ (if I can speak for God, which I probably shouldn’t). God doesn’t always show us the whole path. He doesn’t give us a nicely lit map. But he does give us His words. His promises. There are some Bible verses that I grew up learning but never really thought about. I mean really thought about. One of those is a song as well (I can’t read the verse without humming the tune...)

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
It’s simple. It’s powerful. And the imagery is actually pretty cool. It makes me think of a cold, dark, fall night. No lights outside. But I have a lantern. A little lamp that I can hold at my feet. And it gives me just enough light to take my next step. And the next one. And the one after that. Eventually, this light has provided guidance for my entire path. From A to B. It’s all I need. Like headlights.

“Headlights have the purpose of illuminating the road ahead during periods of low visibility, such as darkness or precipitation.” (Wikipedia)

Isn’t that what God’s light (ie directions and guidance) is for? Especially during times of low visibility, when we are blind with sorrow, confusion, pain, bitterness, anger or whatever other emotion we all have felt? And during times of precipitation – when the storms of life are pouring down on us? Unemployment, illness, pregnancy woes, and so much more? Sometimes I not only want to be in a car with bright headlights but I even want to put on one of those helmets that literally has a light shining out of it, like miners have. Seriously! I might look strange but at least I would be able to see where I’m going! One of my favorite authors reminds me that we don't need to see the whole path...

It’s like driving a car. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” You don’t have to see where you are going, you don’t have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet in front of you.” (Bird by Bird, Anne Lamont)
Sometimes we know what point B is. We see it in the distance. Like Las Vegas – all lit up and beckoning us. And it provides that goal to work towards. Like a North star. But sometimes, all we have in the darkness are headlights – just enough light to get us safely to the next step. And while it’s sufficient, it takes faith. It takes trust.

“The most direct route between point A and point B on your life journey is the path of unwavering trust in Me.” (Jesus Calling Devotional)

By going off track, creating my own path lighted with my ideas, I’ll just be taking the long way. And it’s not the scenic route. Trust me, I’ve taken it many times before. But that verse, that quiet verse that speaks about lighting our path. It’s something to take note of. It’s worth holding onto that lantern in the middle of a world that can be so filled with darkness. It’s comforting to know that there is just enough light for my next steps. And that my footing will be secure on that path because He is leading. And I know He’s not going to lead me down the wrong path.

We don’t want to go overboard on either the journey or the destination. A little balance, a little focus on what’s important is needed. But maybe the focus shouldn’t be on either of those. Maybe its just on the next step.

Right now Paul and I don’t know what our point B is. But we know that we are on a lighted path. The whole thing isn’t lit up; just enough to keep moving forward. Sometimes slowly, but the speed is not important anyways. In times of low visibility and precipitation, slowly is probably best. It’s probably the only way that we will be able to learn from this part of the journey. By slowly but surely, taking one step at a time. By allowing God to light our path with his promises. Not focusing on point B. Or even the journey. But just on the next step.

God’s Word, His promises – they are my miner’s hat.

They are my lantern.

They are my headlights.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenni,

    This is beautiful. I am so glad I found it, and found out this other beautiful thing about you. God be with you and yours.

    -Ib

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment was about the lamp essay above. About the below, I understand more now, and will definitely be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete