Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dry Land

I heard of an experiment once where scientists placed a group of mice in a tub of water. The mice were not able to swim and after struggling to tread water for several minutes, they gave up and drowned. Then they took a new group of mice (obviously) and put them in the tub of water. This time, however, after 30 seconds or so of letting the mice struggle, they picked them up and gave them a break. A while later, they put this same group of mice back into the tub of water.

What they found was that these mice did not give up after just a few minutes of struggling. In fact, they continued to tread water for hours. They were saved once and had faith that they would be saved again.

Ok, not sure how much the mice really had faith, per se. But I get the point of that experiment. And I understand the results. The mice in the first group had no reason to believe that they would be saved. Those in the second group had no reason to believe that they wouldn’t be saved.

Sometimes I feel like those mice in the second group. Treading water for hours. Struggling to keep my head afloat. Trying not to drown in whatever circumstances are surrounding me. But then I remember that I have promises, that I know to be true, that can save me.

Here are some of my favorite promises lately…

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.

My friends, old and new - even strangers- and my family have really been encouraging and supportive of us through this craziness. It’s a great support system to have and as much as facebook is not my primary way of communicating with friends, it’s truly allowed friends from the past and others to reach out and share their stories as well.

Do not be anxious about anything but with prayer and thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God will guard your hearts.

I have so found this promise to be true – rather than be anxious before each ultrasound, I ask God for that peace that comes only from Him. And by cushioning my prayers in words of thanksgiving, it keeps my perspective focused on all the amazing blessings in my life instead of the alternative.

He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

This was the verse we read at our wedding. To me, it’s a reminder that God is in control. Not only did He create it all, but He literally holds it all together. I’ve been singing that familiar childhood song to Mia and I have to admit, I think it’s more impactful on me than it is on her…
He’s got the whole world in his hands,
He’s got the whole world in his hands,
He’s got the whole world in his hands,
He’s got the whole world in his hands.


I made up the second verse…

He’s got your little baby sister, in his hands…
And so on.
These promises bring me comfort. They calm my heart. I think they might even lower my blood pressure. And when I stack these promises, one on top of the other, I can firmly place my feet upon them. And when I do, I look around and see that no longer am I near drowning. I’m not even struggling to keep afloat.

In fact, I am on dry land.

1 comment:

  1. You are such an inspiration jenni! Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us. I have been lifting you, Paul, Mia and those beautiful babies up in prayer. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete